Atom crashes when opening file!

Hello–

I am having a problem with Atom running unders Windows 10.

When either starting Atom directly, or opening a file via the right-click “open with” from the file explorer, Atom fails to open. The following error appears:

If I choose reload, then Atom opens but it still will not load the file, even if I navigate to the file via Atom’s “File | Open file…” menu. (If I do this, I get the exact same error message.) If I choose “keep it open” nothing works and Atom does not display correctly, just being an empty (white background) window.

I tried uninstalling and manually deleting the “.atom” folder from my home directory then reinstalling, however the error still persists. I have tried this with multiple reinstalls and reboots.

Any ideas? The editor was working up until a week or so ago when I last used it. I cannot determine what may have changed.

Running Windows 10 Home, version 1607, and I believe fully patched to date.

What happens when you open it in safe mode, could you give a try to:

1. Completely exit all instances of Atom
  2. Launch Atom with the command atom --safe

Thanks for responding!

See the official bug report for more detail: https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/14033

But to answer your question, I did this. Starting in safe mode from the command line produces the exact same failure. Which I suppose has to happen as I currently have a clean install for which I deleted the state inside of ~/.atom before installing, so there are no packages to skip running (unless --safe stops loading default packages, too).

So no joy there. :frowning: