Atom crashes on startup Mac OSX

Description

[Description of the issue]
Atom crashes on open. It doesn’t work at all now. All I get is a blank white screen with a generic error dialog that says ‘The editor has crashed - please report the issue to https://github.com/atom/atom’ with 3 buttons ‘Keep it open’ ‘Reload’ and ‘Close Window’.

Reloading just repeats the error dialog. Keep it open makes the dialog go away, but all I have is a blank white screen. Wanted to follow the debugging steps for opening settings view and disabling one package at a time, but I can’t because the program is just a blank white screen, no functionality at all. No settings view, nothing at all.

It does open in safe mode, and I updated all the packages while in safe mode. Still get the error after restarting.

Cleared window state, still get the same error.

Tried redownloading and reinstalling the program, but I still get the same error.

It was working just fine as recently as this morning. I restarted my computer after the most recent security update from Apple, and also after uninstalling Microsoft Office from my computer. It no longer worked after that.

No other programs are open, other than Google Chrome and iTerm2.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Open atom from the dock or command line

Expected behavior: [What you expect to happen]

Atom opens.

Actual behavior: [What actually happens]

Atom crashes with an error dialog as described above.

Reproduces how often: [What percentage of the time does it reproduce?]

100%.

Versions

You can get this information from copy and pasting the output of atom --version and apm --version from the command line. Also, please include the OS and what version of the OS you’re running.

atom --version
Atom : 1.27.2
Electron: 1.7.15
Chrome : 58.0.3029.110
Node : 7.9.0

apm --version
apm 1.19.0
npm 3.10.10
node 6.9.5 x64
atom 1.27.2
python 2.7.10
git 2.10.1

OS X El Capitan 10.11.6

Additional Information

Since I have no idea why it suddenly started crashing, no idea how to give any further instructions on how to reproduce the problem. And, as I said, all I get is a blank white screen, so the debugging steps can’t even be followed.

To confirm: it works fine in safe mode?

Yes, it opened in safe mode. I went into safe mode and started disabling add-ons, trying to find the problem. And I did finally manage to open it without that error…but then a new error popped up that STILL made Atom completely unusable, still couldn’t open successfully. So I finally gave up and switched editors. Thanks anyway, but I’m in the middle of a large project and can’t deal with it. I’m done with Atom for now.