Atom crashed and my source file ended up blank

“The case of the lost Atom files”

It doesn’t help in solving this case if you do not give clues …
Examples:

• OS?

• power drop or crash symptoms?

• have you searched throughout your entire file system (using say ripgrep) for a text pattern in any of your lost files?

• have you tried a file undelete tool (depends on your OS but there is testdisk for one as a forensic recovery tool)?

OS?

Windows 10

power drop or crash symptoms?

Power drop

have you searched throughout your entire file system (using say ripgrep) for a text pattern in any of your lost files?

Yes using various tools mentioned throughout this thread

have you tried a file undelete tool (depends on your OS but there is testdisk for one as a forensic recovery tool)?

Again yes I have used various tools throughout this thread

Same symtpoms as others are experiencing with the file becoming full of null values and all content being unrecoverable. I wasn’t using any packages, so it’s definitely an issue with the core Atom software.

Until the root cause is unearthed, as an insurance policy I installed local-history. Previously referred to: local-history

Doesn’t really help my issue, or anyone else’s. Chances are people aren’t coming across this thread until they have already been hit by this incredible bug.

Terrible app. Helper hogs the memory of my brand new comp, and the fact that this has been a bug for 5 years in inexcusable. Everything just gone after a restart. Will actively try to turn people away from ATOM.

Since (a) Atom is built on Chromium and (b) I experience crashes of Chromium from time to time (as recent as yesterday) I wonder if there is a connection. I have not (so far) experienced an Atom crash on Ubuntu.

Perhaps Atom needs a package similar to Chromium Session Buddy extension (one discussion here), which I use. Using Session Buddy I have just recovered my lost Chromium session.

Just in case it’s helpful to find the bug and finally fix it:

The issue quite reliably happens to me if I (1) mark text / code in a file to copy it, (2) temporally leave the Atom window to paste the text somewhere else and then (3) click back into the Atom window.

$ atom --version
Atom    : 1.55.0
Electron: 6.1.12
Chrome  : 76.0.3809.146
Node    : 12.4.0

on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

Really hope that this is fixed, because I like Atom otherwise.

Just ran into this as a VSS snapshot kicked off right as I was saving. I was able to find the last version of the now 0-byte file in %USERPROFILE% \ .atom \ recovery