Atom Crash when saving with CTRL + S

I have dealt with this issue for a very long time, however I have never posted it. With the abundance of updates that Atom has gone through I would think someone else would have this issue and it would be fixed. It does not happen all the time, only ever so often, but when it does happen it happens multiple times in a row. The app crashes when I try to save by typing ctrl + s. So maybe someone’s advice would be to save by going through file - save, but typing ctrl + s is so much faster and I would like it to be more reliable.

What operating system are you running and what version of Atom? And are you saving locally or to a network drive? There’s an issue open about crashing on save with Windows and network drives here:

https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/11911

Also can you reproduce in safe mode (atom --safe)?

These crashes have been reported consistently for years. For me, on win 10, Atom now shuts down randomly, usually after “save file”, frequently enough to be unusable. If bugs that are as serious as this cannot be fixed Atom has reached the end of its useful life.

To be fair, please keep in mind that a report is only helpful when it contains helpful information such as event log, error messages and steps to reproduce. Most reports on this forum even ignore the standard issue template.

For me, on Windows 10, Atom has crashed like twice in two years, and never when I was saving a file. If the developers have similar experiences, then how could they possibly fix a bug that is specifically happening to you without you having to put in the work to figure out why it’s happening?

Users who do not wish to be active troubleshooters should avoid open-source programs and stick to proprietary ones.

“Users who do not wish to be active troubleshooters should avoid open-source programs…”

If this were true open source would be restricted to hobbyists. It can be more than that, given suitable controls.
Atom on Linux seems quite stable but not on Windows. Is this the general perception?
Please point me in the right direction for troubleshooting and reporting problems of this kind.

“True” open-source software is software that has its entire code base available for public viewing with a license that allows for reproduction, modification, and redistribution. With open source, you are not paying the developers to use their software and they have no responsibility to personally attempt to fix issues that you are seeing, but they aren’t. With proprietary software, the developers still have no personal responsibility to you, but at least in that case the company has money to spend on investigating client bug reports.

Atom on Linux seems quite stable but not on Windows. Is this the general perception?

Not at all, and as I’ve said my experience is quite different from yours. I would advise against assuming that your anecdotal experience is representative.

Please point me in the right direction for troubleshooting and reporting problems of this kind.

The Flight Manual section on Debugging is the place to start. The main thing you want to look for is whether the crash happens when you have Atom started in safe mode (typically via atom --safe from the command line).