Atom closes without prompting to save unsaved changes

I noticed that when I close atom and have unsaved changes in my tabs, it closes without prompting to save. This makes Atom unusable for me as I regularly close windows during my workflow. Is this a known issue and/or is there a fix?

Running Atom 1.4.0 on Windows 10.

I can’t reproduce this using Atom v1.4.0 on Mac OS X 10.11.2. Can you replicate it on another Windows 10 machine?

This is a common feature in text editor now. Eg Sublime Text or notapad++.
Close fast, save to a temp location, and everything is available at next launch.

@jeancroy makes a good point … depending on your workflow, Atom could just be saving things in the environment for when you come back. Do you have repro steps on what exactly you’re seeing, @Meteo?

When I relaunch atom, the tabs reopen but all my changes are lost unless I manually save. I do not have another windows 10 machine to test this on unfortunately.

Here are my reproduction steps

1. Open text file with atom
  2. Make some changes without saving.
  3. close the atom window.
  4. reopen text file with atom. changes are lost.

In particular, if your problem is with untitled buffer see this change

1.4.0 Notable Changes
Untitled or unsaved buffers are now automatically saved to a temporary location when closing or restarting an Atom window.

One not so intuitive part is that you’ll have to re-open atom the in the same folder (project) to recover them.

I just tried the same exact steps with sublime and the changes persisted so perhaps its a bug with atom?

That works on my machine. Can you try open atom using atom --safe ?

I think I found the culprit. I was saving to my dropbox folder. When I moved the file outside, I was able to close and reload and the changes persisted. Again sublime does not have this issue.

I am having this issue, too. I was about to start a new thread, when I saw the forum suggest this one.

I can have 10 tabs open with changes, close Atom, and there is no prompt to save anything. There doesn’t seem to be anywhere that I can find to specify an option to prompt to save changes, either.

Are changes saved to a buffer somewhere like what is mentioned here? Maybe. I don’t know, because the next time I open Atom it only shows me the page I just opened. I never get any indication that there are unsaved files floating around on my Windows 10 PC somewhere.

What am I missing?

Atom serializes the editor state based on the project that is open, including the state of changed buffers. If you open the same project (or launch Atom from the command line without arguments) it will restore the saved state.

I am having the same experience on a Windows 10 Installation. This was not occurring on my Linux boot, where all changes, even unsaved, would open after close.
I accidentally closed the editor, and it did not prompt, but when I reopen, I get the same two project folders I have open in the tree, except, it opens a temp file from a previous session and NOT what I was working on last.

Same here :
Atom : 1.17.0
Electron: 1.3.15
Chrome : 52.0.2743.82
Node : 6.5.0
MacOsX 0.12.4 (16E195)

ME>Users/rc/zdrop> touch tmp
Applications/soft/Atom.app/Contents/MacOS/Atom --safe
[warn] kq_init: detected broken kqueue; not using.: Undefined error: 0

===> OPEN “tmp” in Atom and add text, then quit : no prompt to save !!

ME>Users/rc/zdrop> more tmp

tmp is empty
Thanks