Atom book or pro blog

Is there any book or really good blog dedicated to Atom pro-tips and productivity tricks.
There are thinks like this one for Sublime https://sublimetextbook.com/

This is one of the things in the back of my mind at the moment, I’ve spent the last month trying to get to grips with Atom after becoming disillusioned with Sublime Text 3 over the years. As it stands it feels that that Atom is missing packages that people have come to expect in Sublime Text 3 as it stands I suspect I am going to put my efforts into building some video tutorials on building Atom packages to get more information out there about how to extend Atom - I need to figure it all out myself first though.

There is the Atom Flight Manual at https://flight-manual.atom.io. While it perhaps isn’t as complete as some would like at this point, it is and will always be open source. My hope is that more people would contribute to it so that it could be the kind of resource I think both of you are looking for.

But the idea behind it is very different.
The flight manual is a use manual. Instructions.

I am talking about more advanced use, pro-tips and things like that.

There’s no reason the Flight Manual can’t have advanced usage stuff in it as well. It’s open source … it is what we make it :grinning:

Sure. That would be amazing.

Here’s an idea:

How do you take atom, and turn it into an IDE for X.
Where X can be language, a framework, a sysadmin task, a data science task or even prose.

Some day I feel that’s like half the volume of question this forum receive, while forum first respondents are often expert of atom --safe land

+1 for the “recipes list” idea. For a brand new Atom user, the first hour+ (after checking out keybindings) is going to be spent trawling through the package list looking for languages and features of interest to them. Maybe there are multiples (neither the Install screen nor the atom.io package displays have a “last updated” field) and maybe some packages have platform requirements (the majority of the music player packages rely on either OS X or Linux, but Atom.io doesn’t reliably display this and the Install screen definitely doesn’t unless it’s in the short blurb). A page that says, “These are the non-core Javascript/C/Perl/Ruby/whatever packages,” and “These are the packages that can help you turn your editor into a complete work environment so you don’t have to deal with the distractions of your browser when you want to change the music that’s playing”, with indications of which are forks and which are non-maintained? That would be a huge enhancement to the ability of first-time users to pick up Atom.

The Flight Manual is great, I read it cover to cover on my Kindle when I first picked up Atom and it has been my go-to reference ever since. Adding to it is certainly something I am considering, I do also quite like Wes Bos’ way of presenting Sublime Text in his book with companion videos, he was toying with the idea of doing the same for Atom - there is something about having a uniform presentation style that makes his writing and videos very easy to follow, that would be hard to achieve with a collaborative book

It’s much easier to achieve uniform style with a collaborative book than with a bunch of miscellaneous blogs, video channels, and static sites that all have somewhat of the same but also different information. If the style of the book has been established, it’s a relatively minor thing to go through and edit content added by those people who can’t be bothered to care about styling consistency.

I can really only speak for myself, and as I have mentioned I’ve read and referred to the Atom flight manual time and time again so I absolutely see the immense value in developing it further. On the other hand I really enjoyed Wes Bos’ Sublime Text Book and Videos and I would gladly pay $35-$50 for an equivalent Atom book - if an individual had put in the amount of effort that Wes has they deserve to be rewarded for it.