Atom blanks file when using global search and replace

I can repeat this on my own project.

I was doing a global search and replace, replacing:

(for\(SysInt.*=.*0;.*<) ([a-zA-Z_.\[\]\-\>]*size\(\))

With:

$1 (SysInt)$2

on a C++ project with around 400 files.

Whenever I run this ‘Replace All’, around 3 files (the exact files differ each time) are completed blanked of all source code. I do not believe this can be due to a badly formed regex, as (I believe) regexes only match single lines at a time, and many lines will not match that regex at all.

I don’t really know a good way of trying to more carefully pin down what is going wrong… is there some kind of logging I can enable to see what atom is doing?

My assumption was the opposite, so I wrote a simple test:

It appears that in v0.106.0, you are correct. I tested with both regular Find and Replace and Find and Replace in Project.

I have now got a repeatable test case, on an (unfortunately) fairly large and non-public code base.

When I do a global search and replace with the above regexps, 4 files (the same files each time) are blanked (the files become 0 bytes).

If I make a new project with just those 4 files, and run the same global search and replace, the 4 files are not blanked, but instead the correct changes are made.

So it would appear that the bug is not due to the four files, but perhaps one or more other files in the same directory?

@kevinsawicki, @benogle … can either of you speak to whether the order that files are searched in is deterministic?

I now seem table to reproduce this in an open source project I work on as well. This test case could probably be shrunk, but to start I’d be interested to see if it is reproducible on other machines!

I am using Atom 0.106.0

1. Grab the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ed58ysia84bkvig/minion-corrupt.tar.xz and extract it.

2. Go into the directory and type: find . -type f | xargs wc -c | grep ' 0 '. Notice there are no empty files.

3. Open the directory with the command ‘atom minion-corrupt’.

4. Press apple+shift+F to open the “Find in project” dialogue.

5. Select the ‘.*’ icon (regex)

6. Put the regex (for\(SysInt.*=.*0;.*<) ([a-zA-Z_.\[\]\-\>]*size\(\)) as the ‘Find in project’

7. Put $1 (SysInt) $2 as the ‘Replace in project’

8. Press replace all.

While it seems to finish, there is now an ‘atom helper’ process running constantly.

Also, if you go back into the directory, I find:

$ find . -type f | xargs wc -c | grep ' 0 '
       0 ./minion/constraints/gcc_common.h
       0 ./minion/inputfile_parse/MinionInputReader.hpp
       0 ./minion/inputfile_parse/MinionJSONInputReader.hpp
       0 ./minion/inputfile_parse/MinionThreeInputReader.hpp
       0 ./minion/MILtools/sym_output.h```

Yes, I got the same empty file results that you did.

Can you file a bug on the Find and Replace package?

Done here: https://github.com/atom/find-and-replace/issues/242 . Hopefully this will get looked at.