Atom Beta problem

I ran:

sudo dpkg -i "atom-amd64(2).deb"

and it downloaded atom beta and installed it.

The problem is, atom beta will not open for me. I went to the system monitor and checked that out but that wouldn’t work either. I am on Linux.

What version of the beta did you try to install? I can try it out on Ubuntu and see if I have any problems.

Also when you say it doesn’t open, what happens when you try to start Atom from the command line? Is there any output at all?

I have the latest version. How do you start it from the command line?

The command is atom-beta - here my transcript (I renamed the .deb file after downloading):

rsese@ubuntu:~$ sudo dpkg -i atom-1.20.0-beta2.deb 
(Reading database ... 484058 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack atom-1.20.0-beta2.deb ...
Unpacking atom-beta (1.20.0-beta2) over (1.19.0-beta7) ...
Setting up atom-beta (1.20.0-beta2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu5.1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu3.1) ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3~bzr0+16.04.20160824-0ubuntu1) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) ...
rsese@ubuntu:~$ atom-beta -v
Atom    : 1.20.0-beta2
Electron: 1.6.9
Chrome  : 56.0.2924.87
Node    : 7.4.0

Okay, here is what happens:

$ sudo dpkg -i atom-beta.deb
[sudo] password for stevencopeland:
Selecting previously unselected package atom-beta.
(Reading database ... 322879 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack atom-beta.deb ...
Unpacking atom-beta (1.20.0-beta2) ...
Setting up atom-beta (1.20.0-beta2) ...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.22-1ubuntu5.1) ...
Processing triggers for gnome-menus (3.13.3-6ubuntu3.1) ...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon (0.5.3~bzr0+16.04.20160824-0ubuntu1) ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf-2.index...
Processing triggers for mime-support (3.59ubuntu1) ...
 $ atom-beta -v
Atom    : 1.20.0-beta2
Electron: 1.6.9
Chrome  : 56.0.2924.87
Node    : 7.4.0

Looks alright, but when I run atom-beta, it just opens up the regular atom. I tried uninstalling it but that didn’t work either.

Looks alright, but when I run atom-beta, it just opens up the regular atom. I tried uninstalling it but that didn’t work either.

Huh that’s odd - so you start Atom with atom-beta but under the Help menu, it says you’re running the non-beta version?

Oh, sorry I mean, when I click on the atom beta icon(or open from terminal), it just opens the original version, and the atom beta icon starts blinking, then crashes.

No problem - can you clarify this bit again for me?

when I click on the atom beta icon(or open from terminal), it just opens the original version, and the atom beta icon starts blinking, then crashes.

So if you start Atom from the command line with atom-beta, what exactly happens? I’m assuming the icon blinking that you mention comes specifically when you start Atom using the icon?

lemme get you a screenshot:

is that good?

Oh ok :+1: So no matter how you start the beta, the beta icon blinks and then it crashes.

I think I was confused when you said:

it just opens the original version

I thought you meant that after you start the beta, the non-beta version will run.

Is there any difference if you run in safe mode (atom-beta --safe)?

If there’s still a crash in that case, can you try temporarily resetting to factory defaults and let us know how things go in that case?

http://flight-manual.atom.io/hacking-atom/sections/debugging/#reset-to-factory-defaults

I am a Windows user… so not too much help.
What I am wondering - are you attempting to have both stable AND beta running on the same machine?

If YES

• does the stable version work properly?
  • does the stable version and beta version share the same packages?
  • do you want a clean (no packages) for the beta, or a beta with previous packages?

@rsese: Thank you for your support to Steven.
I hope answers of the above questions help you to help Steven further.

Well wishes.
- Dan Padric

Running safe does nothing different.
Let me try resiting

@danPadric

Answers:

1. yes
  2. yes
  3. beta with previous.

There is a trick to getting a parallel installation working well… I do not think it shares packages. @rsese is better qualified to step you through it. I am of the opinion that the installation is your enemy.

Are there any particular reason you are considering BETA on your system - or just curious (which is okay too?

I tried uninstalling the regular atom, but then another program(which looks exactly like atom) open up, which has a weird icon. I am trying to install atom beta because I really like to try beta programs(like beta chrome, or beta github desktop(when i had a windows)).

Like?..

Consider storing your Package directory somewhere (I would use 7zip). Same for your custom INIT / SNIPPETS / ++. Then consider ridding your system of Atom and build it up cleanly. Have Robert (@rsese ) help you build up the beta in the right way afterwards - if he is willing.

- Dan

Two versions of Atom will always share the same settings and packages. I’m not even sure if there’s a way to change this default behaviour.

Here is another screen shot:

Go to help and check the version number. The orange-yellow ion indicates BETA.

Earlier today I have determined the behaviour.

YES the settings (application memory) is sadly an issue.

NO it is possible to split the packages of the two installations. The instructions in the flight-manual for creating a portable installation does that.

It is helpful?.. no not really. The chances of cross contamination is too great to make this viable.