Atom as java IDE

I have been writing java code in eclipse for a long time. I would like to have a lot of the same features in Atom as eclipse ie running java, documentation building,etc. What recommendations do you have? what packages would be good?
Should I just stick with eclipes?

Thanks

I have no definite recommendation for you, especially if you can’t find suitable packages in the listing.

The features you describe are not usually things a text editor would provide, although some packages do blur these lines quite a lot.

For example, there are packages that run your files if you provide the compiler/interpreter, or linting is very well-served for almost all languages.

Not sure about documentation building, but it’s something a package could probably easily provide (as long as someone with the need and the skills writes it).

I’ve succesfully built .java files by using the Package - Script on Mac OS X and doing a Command-i to build the java file and execute. This brings up a command execution in the lower pane and shows the output of the run.

If Atom doesn’t work out, try the community edition of IntelliJ. I’ve had far better luck with that than Eclipse for Java development.

Or pay for the pro version. I used that before Atom and it was great.

Personally, I would just stick to Eclipse. (Actually, that’s what I do when I work on our Java back-end!)
Particularly if you are used to advanced features.
Eclipse maintains an index of all symbols, so searching and refactoring works seamlessly. It can tell the hierarchy of classes, which line calls a given method, etc. It allows to generate getters and setters quickly, to assign a constructor parameter to a new or an existing field, to assign an expression to a new field or local variable, etc. Moreover, it is able to compile itself, in incremental mode. It can even update a running program you edit while debugging the code…
Not to mention the advanced debugging capabilities, among other things something I miss in JS DevTools: the capability to enter a method without entering each method call in the parameters of the method, ie. if you have foo(bar(), goo.get()), you can enter in foo() without entering in bar() nor in get().
The list can go on…
Of course, with time and dedication, perhaps Atom might approach these features via lot of plugins, but Eclipse has some years of head start, so it might be pointless to try to catch it.

What I wrote about Eclipse is probably true for other main Java IDEs: NetBeans, IntelliJ IDEA, etc.
Sometime, specialized IDEs are better than multipurpose editors. The reverse is true: I tried to edit JS in Eclipse, and quickly turned to smarter editors (WebStorm, then Brackets, then Atom).

Hope some day near Atom can be used this way. :heart:

For the interested: May be I’ll give Facebook’s nuclide a try, and see if it’s possible to use (or port) it’s features/plugins to atom.

Right now I’m stick with IntelliJ for Java, but I don’t want to be stick with it anymore.
Let’s go hunt some great plugins. :slight_smile:

Good thing with Atom, you can just implement the extensions you need to get a cozy Java environment!

It is working for me!

Go through documentation and follow steps, it’s clear.

sudo apm install script

or

Search for script within package search in the Settings View.

Moreover, you can customize and also contribute to GitHub repo.

Last I checked, Facebook’s Nuclide is an Atom package :grinning:

You could use Intellij as Java IDE, which is smarter and faster and more efficient than eclipse.
As to atom… it’s just an editor…

Does anybody even use Atom for Java? :slight_smile:

I’m just curious, I personally don’t code in Java, but I was under impression that most Java devs use IntelliJ and some others Eclipse or Netbeans (But I’m generally curious in tools other programmers use).

I am currently using ATOM for grails backend development with angularjs frontend… After installing some of the necessary packages, I have become quite comfortable using ATOM for development. Much lighter than any java IDE, and I still get the perks of auto complete . Only thing is that I can only debug with compile or execution errors, but most of the time the autocomplete feature helps me keep thos to a minimum
This is a list of helpful plugins: https://atom.io/users/noseglid

I do. Someone has to make a “script” like package that allows user imput. that would fix the issues a lot of people have when trying to do so,

I’ve been experimenting with using Atom to edit existing Android Studio projects. I’ve found that one can debug, build and run from a terminal window within the text editor by installing a terminal package. From within the projects main directory one can get started by running ./gradlew tasks --stacktrace on a machine running MacOS. Other instructions are available at the Android website. Additionally some folks have created an android package and an android-debugger package that I have yet to try. So it looks like the initial answer to this would be yes, it is possible to use as a Java IDE.

Hi!
Nobody mentioned NetBeans here: free and and a far better experience than Eclipse.

Hey! I can appreciate the sentiment. Have you found any way to make ATOM a more Java friendly work environment?

Atom just released Atom-IDE to try to add IDE functionality to the atom we all love. It doesn’t yet have the ability to directly run code, but it does have some other great features like improved autocomplete and linting.