Atom 1.2.0 and 1.2.1 get stuck init-ing now

This behavior began this morning (OS X latest). I see a white developer box with a console showing the stack trace below. Atom is sort of listening – it updated itself to 1.2.1. I’ve tried this:

atom --safe

with no better luck. This suggests to me it isn’t an updated package that’s troubling Atom but maybe something about the machine. Maybe Brew?

ReferenceError: states is not defined at Project.module.exports.Project.deserialize (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/project.js:98:9) at AtomEnvironment.module.exports.AtomEnvironment.loadStateSync (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/atom-environment.js:908:22) at Object.<anonymous> (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/initialize-application-window.js:38:8) at Object.<anonymous> (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/initialize-application-window.js:51:4) at Module._compile (module.js:434:26) at Object.defineProperty.value [as .js] (/Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/src/compile-cache.js:190:21) at Module.load (module.js:355:32) at Function.Module._load (module.js:310:12) at Module.require (module.js:365:17) at require (module.js:384:17) at setupWindow (file:///Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/static/index.js:79:5) at window.onload (file:///Applications/Atom.app/Contents/Resources/app.asar/static/index.js:35:9)handleSetupError @ index.js:56

Did you install Atom via Homebrew? If so, can you uninstall it from there and install it using the standard package from the website?

No, Atom is installed and maintained in “normal” ways. This breakage has just happened today, no changes to anything that I know of. I mentioned brew simply to note that I have it – speculating out loud, really.

I’d delete the /Applications/Atom.app and reinstall from the website anyway.

Instead, I installed 1.3 beta and found that to be broken in the same way. Then I moved aside my .atom directory and, well, that’s love. Yes it’s annoying. But OTOH, .atom had been around since very early days. Some linters hadn’t been working for ages. So let’s get a fresh start… :wink: