Atom 1.19 Beta won't load fully in Linux

I’m using the Linux version of Atom on Linux Mint 17.3.

After upgrading to 1.19 Beta, whenever I start Atom, All I get is the title bar and the menu bar. The rest of the screen is blank white. I can look through the menus, but even trying to look at the welcome screen doesn’t do anything. Thankfully, 1.18 is still working fine.

I tried starting in safe mode, and had the same problem. Deleting the .atom folder didn’t help either.

My only guess is that it might be related to the editor rendering layer rewrite mentioned in the blog post, but I would imagine that’s already been tested to work on Linux. Any body else having this problem, or any ideas on what to do about it?

Hardly anything works (1.21 beta) after install

It does work for me (on KDE neon 5.10).

Can you start Atom using the atom --foreground command and paste the output here?

The C++ component was linked to a newer version of libstdc++ (3.4.21), which is not available on Debian 8 (version 3.4.20)

[3745:0616/132254.233264:INFO:CONSOLE(173)] “Uncaught (in promise) Error: /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version ‘GLIBCXX_3.4.21’ not found (required by /usr/share/atom-beta/resources/app/node_modules/superstring/build/Release/superstring.node)”, source: ELECTRON_ASAR.js (173)
[3745:0616/132254.394993:INFO:CONSOLE(70898)] “/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.21’ not found (required by /usr/share/atom-beta/resources/app/node_modules/superstring/build/Release/superstring.node)”, source: (70898)

Fortunately, Debian 9 (Stretch) becomes stable on Saturday, so the problem should disappear on its own.

Yes, the output to atom-beta --foreground was what alexsander posted.

Hopefully an update to libstdc++ will come through within the next few days, and I can switch back to the beta version.

Actually, I decided not to wait, and used the method here to update.

Now, I’ve got several packages failing to activate, but it looks like issues have already been filed for those.

Build from master , it is now loading but crashes with new javascript error.