Ask Atom to save file in utf8 not us-ascii

Hello,

How can I ask Atom to save files in utf8 and not us-ascii.

Running file-i myAtom.js returns:

myAtom.js: text/x-c++; charset=us-ascii

How to save my documents in utf 8

UTF-8 is a superset of US-ASCII. Perhaps your file didn’t have any non-ASCII characters in it, and so it was classified as ASCII.

The problem is I can’t open my files with iMacros on Firefox. It seems to be an encoding issue.

is there a bom at the beginning?

To my knowledge, right now Atom only supports UTF-8 and not other encodings. And yes, @kgrossjo is correct that US-ASCII and UTF-8 are indistinguishable without a BOM (so long as the file does not contain characters past the first 127), so that explains why file -I may have returned what it did if you didn’t have any special characters in the file.

There is no bom at the beginning of the file. (These characters do not appear at the beginning of the file )

Files created with iMacro have the following encoding with file -I:
hello.js: text/x-c++; charset=utf-8

While files created with Atom get the following result:
hello.js: text/x-c++; charset=us-ascii

I think the problem is coming from there.

In order to test the theory, I just created a file called test.md with Atom. When I first saved it, all it contained is Testing. Then I ran file -I:

$ file -I test.md
test.md: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

Then I added the character ʤ (for a total file contents of Testing ʤ), which is of a Unicode code page that would require special handling. Then I ran file -I:

$ file -I test.md
test.md: text/plain; charset=utf-8

So, Atom is at least capable of saving in UTF-8. And file -I is working as we surmised, returning US-ASCII when only characters in the common 128 characters are used and UTF-8 when higher code pages are involved.

I then repeated the experiment by creating a file test2.md by using the following command:

$ echo "Testing" > test2.md

And then used OS X’s TextEdit to add the ʤ character and here are the two results as in the previous test:

$ file -I test2.md
test2.md: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
$ file -I test2.md
test2.md: text/plain; charset=utf-8

So Atom’s behavior is consistent with other tools on the platform.

Thank you, so this is really a bug coming from iMacros. Thank you very much.

I have opened another thread here to try solve the problem.

You’re welcome. I’m sorry that I couldn’t fix it for you.

I’ve solved the problem.

Thanks for circling back with the link!

Just for the record: UTF-8 with a BOM doesn’t make any sense. Because BOM stands for “Byte Order Mark”, and there is no byte order in UTF-8 that needs to be marked. So these iMacros folks should fix their product, I should say.

That said, there are editors out there that support “UTF-8 with BOM” as one of the possible file encodings, so with those it’s easier to cater to such broken software.

That assertion is misstated. A more correct statement would be: “The sequence of bytes used to signal UTF-8 is not technically a ‘byte order mark’ (BOM), because UTF-8 has no byte order.” That statement is true and I fully agree.

Your original statement assumed that “byte order” is the only purpose of the so-called “UTF-8 BOM”, which would more correctly be called a “UTF-8 signature”. In fact this byte sequence has great value in distinguishing between ASCII, UTF-8, ISO-8859-1, Windows CP-1252, etc. If you run upon a text file stored on Windows without a BOM/signature, what encoding is it? You don’t have a clue. A UTF-8 signature unambiguously indicates which charset is used by the file.

Some people like the UTF-8 signature. Others don’t. Fine. But it’s valid and allowed; software that uses them are not “broken”. In fact, tools that don’t support a UTF-8 signature if present, and/or don’t maintain it (do we know any tools like that?) by stripping it out without asking, are the tools that are “broken”.