"Apps Using Significant Energy"

When I look at the battery for my laptop, its says that Atom is using significant energy. I’m just editing text!

Any ideas about this? Is anyone else experiencing this?

Thanks

Computer gets warmer when using Atom
Having issues with excessive battery drain even when idle

I bet if you use Chrome, it also appears in the “significant energy” list on the OS X battery menu item. Atom is based on Chromium, the open source underpinnings of the Chrome web browser. As such, it does use a lot more resources than something that was purpose-built for text editing in a systems programming language such as C/C++/Objective-C or even Java.

On the flip side, you can see my post, linked below, for some of the benefits that building on top of Chromium and other Web technologies brings:

Sure, being based on chromium is a factor, but Atom is using significantly more energy than Chrome, even when just (in theory) idling in the background.

Definitely there is work to be done. I just think that realistically so long as Atom is built on top of Chromium, Atom isn’t going to consume significantly less energy than Chrome itself.

And especially written in javascript instead of C++, which may be what you meant.

Improving Atom’s speed performance is high-priority and that means the number of instructions executed will be reduced which means less power. But I doubt we will see much over a factor of two improvement in the long run.

I think this falls in the category of better modern software using more and more resources which sells better modern hardware.

The point is that idling Atom is using two orders of magnitude more energy than idling Chrome. There will probably be some low-hanging fruit for optimizations.

Actually it is the average that affects battery life which is only a factor of 3. I’ll stick to my estimate of 2.

Average takes into account the time I was using it, while current keeps stable when both apps are idling in the background and provides a good baseline.

Also, when atom is started with --safe with three windows open, and it’s not the active app, the impact is still hovering at ~10. Chrome running in the background shows ~2.

So you have a problem with the current usage and not the battery life? What is the problem with current usage? The only test that makes sense for battery usage it to clear the counters (?), use it in a normal manner, and check the average.