Apple's Text to Speech stopped working in a recent update

I am visually impaired and I use OS X’s feature “Speak selected text when the key is pressed” located in the Dictation & Speech preference pane. I just noticed that this feature no longer works in Atom as of one of the last two versions. It now only reads the window’s title bar no matter what text I have selected. It was working just fine before. It also works just fine under Chrome itself.

I’m not sure what caused this to break, but I depend on this feature all the time and can’t really do without it. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I’m currently on v0.122 and I know it was working on v0.120 or v0.119.

Thanks for any help,
Scott

Sorry to hear this is broken! I just tested this on OS X 10.10 and can confirm that this is not working. Got exactly the same behavior as you describe. I’m guessing this is either related to the upgrade to Chrome 36 or somehow related to the React Editor.

Would you mind opening a bug report on Atom core?

/cc @zcbenz @nathansobo

@izuzak would you mind investigating this when you get some time?

Thank you for confirming this. I will report it now. I don’t believe it has anything to do with the React Editor, because I’m pretty sure I had enabled that before I noticed this being a problem. However, anything is possible.

Bug Filed: https://github.com/atom/atom/issues/3288

I just updated to 0.124.0 and Text to Speech is working again. I just wanted to thank everyone who helped in any way with this issue. I appreciate that you all took the time to look into something that only affects what’s probably a small minority of your users. It has been my experience that a lot of application developers don’t always give accessibility that much thought. Atom has quickly become my editor of choice, and because of your efforts that will hopefully continue for a long time to come.

Thank You.