(Apologiese) Following Mimo tutorial and can't get my site to work

Hello there! Sorry if this has already cropped up but I am wondering why I cannot actually use my links that I’ve made by following the Mimo Tutorial.

This is how my site currently looks, the links don’t see to want to work. And I have followed everything and re did it and they still dont work?

I think I have everything in place and even have the about page ready and it’s not opening out anything. Is it because it’s not coming up as a proper url on Edge?(or even chrome) like the links have my computer directory on it not like a proper https line? The code from Atom i cant post just yet as new users have so many restrictions.

Any advice before I continue with the course would be great :slight_smile:

It is a pleasure to meet you all.

You seem to be using '' instead of ' or " for quotations, which is not valid syntax.

But that’s how it appears when I type ’ twice, unless I actually have to use the default " then I guess that’s where I’m going wrong :smiley:

Well I changed all the ’ ’ to the one above the number 2 - " and it still doesn’t work.

After changing quotes did you save your file then refresh your browser cache? There is a package atom-beautify which might help to show syntax errors.

I really really new to this how do I put that in? And yeah i tried it on three different browsers vs edge I was orginally using.

Actually I just refresed and saved on both my about tab and index tab and it loaded so I think the " fixed it :smiley: - but it will still be interesting to know what atom-beautify is. ^.^

I’m curious about why you were under the impression that you needed to type ' twice. Since you are a newbie, I will provide some background information that might inform you about what’s going on.

In computer programming, a series of arbitrary characters is called a string. “Arbitrary” in this context means that the characters are not to be read as code in the context they exist in (much like how quotations in a sentence such as the ones I just used mean that the text in quotes is removed from its typical context and isn’t meant to be read as a part of that sentence’s semantics). A statement like <div class="article" style="font-size: 2em;"> tells the browser to make a div element and assign it attributes named class and style with values equal to the strings that follow them. In this case, the style attribute contains code that is meaningful when the browser goes to compute the style rules for the page, but during the phase of rendering when the HTML is being built, that code is not read at all and has no effect.

Both ' and " are valid delimiters for strings. “Delimiter” refers to a form of punctuation that has the specific use of telling the computer where to break apart the plain-text document in order to parse it into instructions that the renderer understands. In the case of human-readable languages like HTML, delimiters usually follow English rules pretty closely. However, the computer has no conception of how things look. It only knows that the characters associated with ASCII codes 34 and 39 (or 00100111 and 00100010 in binary) are symbols that mean to not read the text inside them right now, but to save it to a variable stored on the element being created (the attributes I mentioned earlier). So '' could not be further from ": it’s not just one character, but two. It’s worth noting, since many ASCII-novices who are first getting into HTML encounter the idea that smart quotes aren’t the same thing as regular quotes. If you copy text from a forum like this, or from a word processor document, that contains the characters or “”, you will find that they also don’t work and confuse the browser.

atom-beautify is a package that automatically formats code in a human readable fashion. @d_l suggested it because you can use it as an improvisational debugger: if the package breaks up your code in a way that seems nonsensical, it’s probably because you have written something that doesn’t make sense according to the rules of the language.