`apm disable` doesn't work on my machine

I’ve previously messed with my config.cson file programmatically (possible cause) but I tried removing the file so that it refreshed to its initial state and I was still unable to disable packages.

The command shows output as if the package has been disabled but it isn’t disabled.

[DELETE] Apm disable/enable packages without adding version number?

What version of Atom are you running (atom -v) and what operating system? Has this been a problem for a while or just recently with a particular version of Atom?

And just to clarify, does disabling from the settings UI work and it’s just apm disable on the command line that doesn’t work for you?

@rsese UI works. apm disable does not.

I’m using brew cask to install atom. I did manually tinker with the config in the past as well.

Tried starting fresh, without success:

$ brew cask uninstall atom
$ mv ~/.atom ~/Desktop

I then installed the latest version from the atom website. Still doesn’t work!

I’m running the latest version of macOS (10.13.5) and latest version of Atom (1.28.2).

Ahhh yeah I can reproduce with Atom 1.30.0-dev-4a5ac6623 on macOS 10.12.6.

I’ll go ahead and open an issue for this.

Thanks for the heads up :+1:

Hmm but it works for you on 1.28.2? @Aerijo said that apm disable worked for him, so I assumed it’s system specific?

I would love to open the issue myself (as practice) if you can provide some more detail on how you’re confirming this isn’t specific to my system.

Hmm but it works for you on 1.28.2?

No, doesn’t work for me with 1.28.2 but did see that it worked in 1.28.1 so looks like a regression.

@Aerijo said that apm disable worked for him, so I assumed it’s system specific?

Oh that’s interesting, was that in 1.28.2 as well?

I would love to open the issue myself (as practice) if you can provide some more detail on how you’re confirming this isn’t specific to my system.

Sounds good :+1:, if you could link it back here after you create it that would be great.

I had asked the other maintainers to give it a try as well and someone else could reproduce with a nightly release (1.30.0-nightly6), so it’s definitely not just your computer.

Here’s where @Aerijo and I previously discussed this issue, but I suppose I should’ve been more clear about what he needed to test.

I’ll open an issue and post it here shortly, thanks!

I thought so… but clearly not. Turns out I must have tried in 1.29.0-beta2 (which works), and just now with 1.28.2 it failed.

Ah ok thanks for clarifying!

Maybe try the beta too? At least to help diagnose this issue. It installs separately to the stable release (though beta seems pretty stable in my opinion). It should work.

Oh ok that’s interesting - so looks like it doesn’t work in 1.28.2, works in 1.29.0-beta2, but doesn’t work on 1.30 (on master/nightly).

If you could put all this information in the issue you open @JBallin that would be great :+1:

Tagged you both on the issue, thanks for your help! Exciting to contribute!

Upon further review, the break was caused by Atom.
The latest change to APM was on 1/3 and Atom worked fine up until 1.28.2 came out on 7/13.

re-opened here: