Anyone else having issues with searches?

Once again here I am trying to switch to Atom.
I’m close to have a workable environment but i’ve stumbled into a quite strange issue.

Almost every global search return none to just a few results, for string I know are present in not git ignored locations.

This project is a wordpress multisite network, where the themes folder is the root of the git repo, and within that I have several themes which I develop one at a time, having that theme open in atom. Can this have something to do with it?

I remember this wasn’t an issue when I’ve used Atom before.

Sorry to bump this topic, but anyone figured out how to deal with this problem?

I haven’t had this issue, so there isn’t much I can suggest without a consistent repro. The more details you can give, the better. Can you reproduce this issue on any other project?

Hi Lee,

Actually not only I can replicate in other but in a different machine also.
All it takes is to open the subfolder instead of the root of the git project and search always returns no results.

Not sure what can I try next to debug this.

I can’t replicate this. Here’s what I did:

1. Selected a project that has a Git repository
  2. Opened a command-line window
  3. Navigated to the root of the project
  4. Changed to a subdirectory one level below the root (spec in this case)
  5. Opened Atom with atom to start Atom with the current directory (projectRoot/spec) being the root directory
  6. Opened Project Find with Shift+Cmd+F
  7. Searched for a string (Logcat in this case)

Expected and Actual: Search returns numerous results

Other things you could include that could help investigation:

• Which version of Atom are you using?
  • What OS and version are you running?
  • Do you have the Emmet package installed?
  • Can you reproduce the issue after completely exiting Atom and restarting using atom --safe?

I tried something similar, except that I attempted to open the folder from within Atom. Same result as @leedohm.

I noticed a search bug today where Atom wouldn’t return results from the second root directory, only from the first one, even when I explicitly selected “Search in Directory” from the context menu when I right-clicked that directory. I think I recall it working once, so it may not be a persistent bug.

Not sure if it’s related.

Multiple-root folders behavior is hit-or-miss right now. The Atom team is working on patching all the myriad packages for multiple-root folders as fast as they can. In other words, I don’t think it is related :grinning:

I think I know what is causing my search issues.
I have a gitignore pattern that includes all theme folders, but then adds back those im interested in. I guess Atom doesn’t cope well with this, and once those folders are ignored they can’t be added back.
Going to run some tests to confirm this.

Confirmed!!
In my case it was the gitignore that was trashing the search feature.

I’m going to close this as fixed then unless there are any objections?

Sure, sorry I would have done that but can’t see that option anywhere.

It’s a moderator-only thing :grinning:

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.