Any way to view what Atom is doing in the background?

Hi,

Sometimes, usually post-update but also when packages are being updated/installed, Atom starts to
chew the CPU for what would seem like a long time.

I’m using Windows 8.1, and I can’t see any obvious way to have Atom run in a mode that would show me
either in a status window in Atom itself, or in a log or terminal what it is that is happening in the
background when this work is being done.

Is there some way I could get this kind of information rather than simply a pretty animated button or something? Most other IDEs I’ve used have provided a plugin or add-on where the IDE’s output/logs can
be viewed.

Thanks,

Darren.

ctrl+shift+i will open the Chrome devtools, which has performance timelines, etc. There’s also the JavaScript console, but I’m not sure if anything of value is logged there.

Atom usually has a long startup time after updates because it has to rebuild the compile cache.
The timecop package (timecop:view) shows you if any files were re-compiled.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I do a lot of debugging in Chrome, so I’m familiar with it - it’s more
w.r.t. what is happening outside of the main Atom editor, like when
apm is being run or other background tasks - the transparency of
this kind of thing is not very good I think (for me at least).

This is certainly interesting to see - I do seem to have a lot of packages that are taking either a large load time or a large activation time - I have installed many of them since I require various language support, so I need a lot of them - maybe not all of the time, but often.

I did see an issue w.r.t. having perspectives like in Eclipse, and that would certainly help if I could
deactivate packages for certain projects to save resources.

Atom update download patch, so immediately after update are downloaded and is restarting full files has to be reconstructed from diff.

but also when packages are being updated/installed,

There may be node.js dependency management going on here. That may include compiling some native stuff.

I’ve no problem with that needing to be done - but I would like to be able to ‘watch’ what is happening - especially in the cases when things are, potentially, going wrong.

I tend to run the latest beta builds, and keep packages up to date, which can mean that things
do go wrong - as a developer my self, I like to be able to determine if this is something I should debug
or something that I should just let happen…

Should also add, I’d like to contribute, and this is part of my way of learning what is happening - by observation - right now Atom doesn’t seem to want to make that easy.