Any way to open items in the file finder to a new pane?

I’ve found a regression that I think is related to this new preview file feature. I tend to split I commonly use command+T to find a file, and then command+K+ARROW to open it in a new tab. This has stopped working, so now I have to do this. Bold items are new steps from the regression.

• command+T
  • type file name
  • open file with ENTER
  • command+K+RIGHT
  • click file opened in left pane
  • command+W to close file in left pane

Is there some setting I’m missing to bring the old behavior back?

New to community, want to second technoweenie’s question/request.

Fresh install of atom 1.6.2 (uninstalled, cleared ~/.atom, ~/AppData/Local/Atom, ~/AppData/Roaming/Atom folders).
Tried install using AtomSetup.exe and more recently, extracting from atom-windows.zip and dropping into my preferred location. Both installs show same behavior.

In my case, placing focus into Tree View and using ENTER to load file into a new tab/pane works. However clicking on a file no longer loads the file into a new tab/pane. Instead, clicking a file loads that file in my existing tab/pane.

Example:
No tabs open
click file1.txt, loads file1.txt into new tab/pane.
click file2.txt, loads file2.txt into the tab/pane where file1.txt had been loaded.

Ctrl-W with focus on the file within Tree View does close the tab which currently displays the file.

Also note: this worked in atom version 1.5.4.

@rkharris There is a FAQ that covers what you’re asking about here:

@technoweenie It sounds like that could be a regression. Could you post repro steps for the behavior you’re seeing on this Issue here?

@leedohm Ah, thank you.

Steps 3, 5, and 6 are the regression:

1. command+T
  2. type file name
  3. open file with ENTER
  4. command+K+RIGHT
  5. click file opened in left pane
  6. command+W to close file in left pane