[Announce] Force Tab -- Just Insert a tab character, darn it!

I don’t know about y’all, but sometimes I just want to insert a tab character and I don’t want Atom to argue with me about it! :angry:

Sometimes I’ll try to insert a tab and get snippets inserting a bunch of stuff I don’t want, or autocomplete will try to autocomplete something I don’t want, or softTabs is enabled and I literally can’t insert an actual tab character without temporarily disabling the setting – which is super annoying!

Enter :anger_right: force-tab! :anger_right:

By default Atom outdents code when you press shift-tab, but I absolutely never use that! I always use cmd-[, with cmd-] for indenting. If you’re like me, and sometimes you just want to insert a damn tab character, I’ve made shift-tab map to a new command that forcibly inserts a tab or an appropriate number of spaces if editor.softTabs is enabled.

Settings for the package include an option to totally disable honoring editor.softTabs.

Hrm, well, personally I’ve never found myself in this situation… I always have hard tabs enabled, and use spaces to align anything after a non-whitespace character, so… :smiley:

I’m guessing Atom’s language-specific editor settings don’t help for you?

I use spaces in some languages and tabs in others, but I usually use the tab key for aligning things after a non-whitespace character. And sometimes I’ve wanted to insert a literal tab character and been unable to because of softTabs being enabled.

Probably this won’t be a super useful package to most people, but maybe some! :slight_smile:

Quick solution.

Open Textedit.app / Notepad and press tab. Then copy and paste that to Atom.

I use this in the rare occasion that I need a REAL TAB in Atom. For me this is only when I am editing tabular data (TSV) and using multi-select to do a quick edit. And that’s usually when I’m scraping HTML and doing some hack processing to get it to fit into a spreadsheet.

Can confirm that @fulldecent’s solution works just fine too. I used to do the copy/paste trick myself before writing the package.

I was unwilling to lose shift-tab to adjust indentation, my solution was to add this to my snippets file:

'.source':
  'tab':
    'prefix': 'tab'
    'body': '\t'

That’s clever. I’ve just added to ~/.atom/snippets.cson:

atom.commands.add 'atom-text-editor',
'user:insert-tab': (event) ->
    editor = @getModel()
    editor.insertText('\t')

And to ~/.atom/keymap.cson:

'atom-text-editor':
    'ctrl-i': 'user:insert-tab'

Funny, I really need shift-tab to outdent the selected lines but for me shift-tab moves the focus to some parts in the status bar, which is very annoying since tabbing does not seem to bring back the focus to the editor.

I can’t seem to remove all shift-tab shortcuts. This is in the keybindings:

shift-tab	editor:outdent-selected-rows	Core		atom-text-editor:not([mini])
shift-tab	core:focus-previous			Core		body .native-key-bindings

Any ideas?

I’ve seen that issue before too and was able to re-create it just now. What’s your current keymap.cson file? You can get to it from:

• Atom > Keymap... on MacOS (I’m not sure on other OSes)

Or you can use the Keybinding tab in the Settings View (Cmd+, on macOS and Ctrl+, on Linux/Windows); click on the link for your keymap file.

I was able to get things working adding something like this to my keymap.cson:

"body .native-key-bindings":
  "shift-tab": "unset!"

And if you have force-tab installed you’ll probably want to uninstall it, disable it, or go into it settings and disable its keymap.

My keymap.cson was empty. I tried unsetting the value by assigning it an empty string, but your unset! (didn’t find that when I was looking to unset a key) works! I had to unset Tab as well:

'body .native-key-bindings':
    'shift-tab': 'unset!'
    'tab': 'unset!'

'atom-text-editor:not([mini])':
    'shift-tab': 'editor:outdent-selected-rows'

This works, so thanks!