Announce: Command-Toolbar

From the readme …

command-toolbar

Atom editor toolbar with easily customized buttons for any command.

Installation

Run apm install command-toolbar or use the settings screen.

Usage

• Open/close the toolbar using the command command-toolbar:toggle. By default it is bound to the key ctrl-6.
  • Execute a command by simply cicking on its button.
  • Create a button by clicking on the first icon (three bars). A selection box identical to the command palette will pop up. Choose a command and a new button for that command will appear in the toolbar.
  • Edit a button label by clicking on the button with the ctrl key held down.
  • Rearrange buttons by clicking and dragging them.
  • Delete buttons by clicking on the button and dragging the cursor away from the bar. The btn will not move before deletion.
  • Move the toolbar to any of the four sides of the window by clicking on the first icon (three bars) and dragging the cursor to the middle of a different side.
  • View the complete command assigned to a button by hovering over it for one second.

Configuration

There is one setting Always Show Toolbar On Load. If it is checked then the toolbar will always be loaded when Atom is loaded. If not checked then the toolbar will be visible on load only if it was visible when Atom was closed.

License

command-toolbar is copyright Mark Hahn with the MIT license.

Toolbar package with plugins/extensions support

Th command-toolbar package now has major new features.

It not only has easily customizable buttons to issue commands but now offers buttons to open specific files and web pages. So it act’s as a “favorites” toolbar for Atom files and the web-browser package.

I toyed with the idea of changing the name since it offers more than commands but I think changing package names causes confusion.

BTW, has anyone ever heard of a programming editor that lets you save files as favorites? I think this is new.

Nice to see that there’s more packages working around UIs like in this topic. And I was wondering if it would make sense to extract the toolbar component from the toolbar package as a npm module so that other package like your could benefit of a more consistent UI. I would probably use it myself it was available as an external component (currently working on a tabular data editor that may need toolbars at some point).

I never used it but, using google, I found UltraEdit which seems to have something that looks like what you’re talking about:

http://www.ultraedit.com/support/tutorials_power_tips/ultracompare/bookmark_favorite_files-folders_in_ultracompare.html

Have you considered allowing the user to pick an icon (from octicons that is shipped with Atom, or fontawesome if you have a package like file-icons) or an emoji?

BTW, it seems your package finally provides a solution to the request made in this topic:

Something to keep an eye on as well: native toolbar support in atom-shell

It is kind of ugly. And the behavior code is also ugly. I would like to have a consistent toolbar UI component to use. If nothing came from core then I’d clean up this one. How long would I have to wait to know if a core one is coming? (grin)

Sure that would be fun to add. I’m already planning on it for the new file and web tabs.

Most of my tabs would not be amenable to icons. They are too specific. What icon would I use for toggling the file tree, toggling invisibles, or converting to upper case? I think I could find icons for three or four of these tabs …