After about a month of work, an entirely rewritten version of autocomplete+ (v2.0.0) has been released. This release addresses pretty much every qualm raised in What can we do to improve autocomplete? - with the exception of the quality of the suggestions provided by the built-in provider (
Users should update to the latest version of
autocomplete-plus, and optionally install additional autocomplete
Providers (note that some of these still need to be updated to the new provider API as of January 28th, 2015).
The next step to improve autocomplete in Atom is to ensure that each grammar (i.e. all the
language-xxxxpackages in the https://github.com/atom organization) has corresponding
provider(s)that provide more specific suggestions than the built-in provider.
If you find yourself editing in a file and don’t like the suggestions you are getting, follow this line of reasoning:
- Ask yourself “do I have an autocomplete-plus provider installed that caters specifically to this grammar?” If yes, file a defect in the corresponding repository; if no:
- Head over to https://github.com/atom-community/autocomplete-plus/wiki/Autocomplete-Providers and determine if there is a provider matching your needs
- If there is no provider, or if you think there should be another one for your grammar, head over to https://github.com/atom-community/autocomplete-plus/wiki/Provider-API and learn how to write your own autocomplete+
Notable providers that are currently compatible with the autocomplete-plus 2.0 API:
- For Filesystem Paths: autocomplete-paths
- For Snippets: autocomplete-snippets
One final note for the core team: one of the goals in this rewrite was to have your team consider
autocomplete-plus as a replacement to core
autocomplete. I’m fairly sure the transition of a package from “community” to “core” is unprecedented, so we’re looking for your guidance on this. We (@park9140, @yongkangchen and @joefitzgerald) are open to 1) a pull request or 2) a transfer in ownership of the repo. /cc @nathansobo @benogle @maxbrunsfeld @kevinsawicki @thedaniel and others I have missed.
Many thanks to @nathansobo and @maxbrunsfeld for the help in reviewing the PR https://github.com/atom-community/autocomplete-plus/pull/186 and in helping us evolve the
service-hub API to support this new model of package <-> package integration.