Announce: Atom-Shell-Starter, a starter project for creating Atom Shell-based apps

Hey guys, wanted to post this here before I announce it to the world on Monday, I’ve started a new project along with the Atom team, https://github.com/atom/atom-shell-starter, as a source hackup of the Atom source that gives you a production-ready starter for creating Atom Shell apps.

Ideas / bugs / PRs would be definitely welcome!

Thanks for doing this. Ideas…

Atom is a really appealing platform beyond the text editor aspect. But it’s also big and complex. Ideally (for me anyway) I hope this project will be a place to show how to use Atom platform features in other atom-shell apps. For example:

• Autoupdate
  • Package Manager
  • Keybindings

Ideally I’d like the demo app to show how to use all aspects of Atom minus the text editor aspect. So for example I could use it as a starting point if I were trying to build an image editor, and wanted autoupdate, plugins, keybindings, but didn’t need text editing.

Thanks,
Jesse

Ideally I’d like the demo app to show how to use all aspects of Atom minus the text editor aspect.

Totally, it’d be interesting to have forks with different levels of “Kitchen Sink’ness” to it. Right now, the starter application doesn’t include the package manager or CSS-based keybinding component, since most applications won’t need this (the Atom Shell Starter app has a much simpler “menu item => emit an EventEmitter event” dispatch)

Autoupdate

This part is definitely on my roadmap for the starter app, since it’s something that every app will need