An appeal: Respect the computers you hope to be installed on

I only now came across an old news article / press release announcing Carlo, a seemingly related toolkit from Google. I posted a reply to the 2-month old InfoQ article, but thought it might actually have a chance to be read and thought about by someone if I posted it here also. I’m not hoping for a response; just hoping that if I drop this here, someone that’s somehow actually just unaware of the frustrated perspective I represent in my reply, gets to recognize my perspective.

The context: the news article announcing the release of an alternate approach/SDK for releasing desktop apps based on web technologies

The reply (apologies for not having time, atm, to slightly adjust its tone before reposting it here):

Finally, a shift towards respecting resource usage?

Does this mean the industry is finally recognizing that I don’t want to use their apps if they mean I can’t also keep other apps open at the same time? Hopefully.

Don’t be blind to the reality of many of your users:

• No one wants to have to launch a new operating system instance (ie. an exclusive installation of Chrome) for every app they have open — available RAM is limited on typical systems!
  • And to address a practice that accompanies such annoying Electron apps, additionally no one wants to spend their just-as-limited lower-latency storage budget (ie. the more expensive thus lower capacity non-spinning disc drive space they install apps into for performance) on uselessly retained copies of the previous three or more versions of your app.

If you must insist on developing your app on top of the Chrome platform, at least [additionally(?)] offer it in a form utilizing a less ridiculously wasteful approach such as this technology. More people like myself might tolerate opening/installing your app more often.

(Of course this news comes at the end of the year, when I’m finally stepping beyond my means/budget to upgrade as a result of this unavoidably rampant & stressful waste.)