Adding my own linter rules

I want to have a rule that warns me when a php file contains style= within any tag. Even alerting on the string ‘style=’ is probably enough.

How do I do that?

I think I want to make custom linter rules.

I have looked for about 1/2 hour and not found a toehold to get started.

I think there must be some wrong with my analysis. So far I have not yet found any file full of rules of any kind.

BTW I use nuclide. I did have to add some config code to convince it that php is not hack, especially for linting purposes. I also know that there may be issues regarding linting so this needs to be taken into account in my solution.

Here’s the documentation for creating linter messages. However, unless you’re already in the business of designing linter packages, I feel like the solution you propose is too much work. It would be a lot faster to use ctrl-shift-f to find all instances of style= in the project.

I’m not aware of any negative interaction between Nuclide and linting, but I don’t use Nuclide.

Would it be possible to add to an existing language package (grammar)?

A dirty way of doing this task would to create a new language package (grammar) from the existing one, and then add an “invalid” colouring to it the style=.

I confess my idea is not as elegant to give an active linter warning.
But at least it can help until a better solution comes.

dP

1. Thanks for the doc. I think that linting is a place to manage coding style and as such, allow me to constrain or at least counsel regarding undesirable constructs. I eagerly invite statement of a better way.

2. yes ctrl-F is my friend but I need to get in the faces of other coders on the project who feel free to sneak in inline style which break our project.

3. I avoided the word negative purposely. nuclide crabs at me about what linter to use or disable. Isn’t negative or positive, technically. Just is an issue, not a huge one, when supporting other coders who don’t want to understand these things and want to know why they can’t just use Coda :slight_smile:

It would, but there’s a strong chance that that would mess up the highlighting given the specific change desired. The whole HTML tag rule set would have to be copied over.

In this case, yes, a linter plugin is what you want.

That is sort of what I intended.
I assumed there was a standard that dictated how I provide what is essentially a ‘local override’ declaring a valid part of the language to be invalid for my team.

I confess this is part of defensive development, when working with a legacy that nobody will let you refactor.

<mood = chatty>
Pre-emptively avoiding future problems

A tough challenge to go against “it was fine like that before you came”. I do not share your field of expertise, but in a way I share a similar crusade.

Like when our electrician wires locally, indifferent to the global machine design. Then one day when he is on holiday, I have fix the machine break-down – starting by bringing the wiring to spec.

<mood = more-or-less-business>
Linting would be perfect for you. What @DamnedScholar provided seems to be the linting messages - push-pull and standard type. Parsing the text buffer would also be needed (guessing). I have looked linter-pydocstyle quickly. I am sure when staring at ./lib/init.coffee long enough, one could understand what to do.

If you work it out and have some “cheat notes” to share, please give me a shout. I would love to use this for a “convert from V1 to V2” project.

Good luck.
-\ Dan