[ABANDONED] Where to find offline versions of Atom's documentation?

Hello.

I am looking for a way to have the offline versions of the Atom documentation.
specifically:
http://flight-manual.atom.io/

Are these available for download somewhere?

Thanks.
- Dan Padric

The Flight Manual has its own GitHub repo.

Hello.

Not aiming to shoot the messenger…
I was hoping that Lady Google was not telling me everything.

I thought there would be compiled HTML (CHM) versions like Ruby and Python provide to document their languages.

I’ll have to look into getting Ruby (re)installed for reading the manual.

…and then no offline document for the API - - -

@DamnedScholar : Thank you for your answer. I very much appreciate your contributions.

:cry:
The instructions in readme.md of the flight-manual project was not helpful to me. I am missing something.

I am asking someone to help me with a dummy guide on this please.

I have Ruby and Node.js installed. I think bundler is installed as it asked permissions. I do not know how to check and test. I am lost on the bootstrap bit. How to use the ‘project’ and see the actual document?

Windows 7 Pro | Atom V1.18 | Skill level = 0+

Typing gem install bundler again should just tell you that it’s successfully installed.

I am lost on the bootstrap bit.

In the command line, you navigate to the cloned repo and type script/bootstrap. That’s it.

(?!) Bundler gem is now installed. - Thank you.

What I now get…
C:\Users\Dan\.atom\packages\flight-manual.atom.io-master> script/bootstrap
‘script’ is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

You need to account for the fact that Windows is different and uses backslashes in its paths. If you’re on Windows, then it’s script\bootstrap.

I use cmder, which lets me type whichever slashes I feel like, so I don’t have to change my typing habits when I switch operating systems.

@DamnedScholar: Thank you for your attention.

Sadly the result is the same…
C:\Users\Dan\.atom\packages\flight-manual.atom.io-master\script> bootstrap
_‘bootstrap’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file. _

“bootstrap” is without an extension. Windows do not like files without extensions.

Would that mean I need to have installed: Atom, Ruby, Node.js and “cmder” to be able to use the manual for offline study? Heaven forbid if I was thinking of making a change-contribution.

@DamnedScholar - sorry the sarcasm it is not meant for you; just voicing my frustration. Seriously though - do you think having “cmdr” installed will help? Perhaps something else is missing?.. any guess what that is, please.

Regards.

But you didn’t follow the instructions. The instructions were to be in flight-manual.atom.io-master and type script\bootstrap.

Seriously though - do you think having “cmdr” installed will help?

Unless you want to be using cmd.exe. It’s so ugly and clunky.

…well even following the instructions, gives me the same result.

Using cmdr is also not a solution… not with the standard out-of-the-box configuration. There I have 3 environment choices. Standard as cmd. Other is powershell and then bash. bash does not work (yet?).

Focussing on the problem at hand…
.\script\bootstrap or even .\bootstrap called in the appropriate directories, do have a reaction in powershell environment using cmdr. A Windows popup comes up to ask how to handle bootstrap.

According to Atom that file is a shell script…

#!/bin/sh

# Make sure everything is development forever
export NODE_ENV=development

set -e

cd "$(dirname "$0")/.."

echo "==> Installing gem dependencies…"
bundle check --path vendor/gems 2>&1 >/dev/null || {
  bundle install --path vendor/gems --quiet --without production
}

echo "==> Installing npm dependencies…"
npm install

…this reminds me of a BAT file.

@DamnedScholar - What am I still missing on my Windows PC that you already have? (thanks)
- Dan Padric

Cmder uses the standard cmd shell with enhancements like path completion and some aliases to make it more Unix-like. My point was that it doesn’t care whether I write/paths/like/this or like\this, so I’ve actually stopped thinking about that until you pointed that out to me.

Okay, that’s interesting. It should be the bootstrap.cmd file that’s getting activated. I know that Windows will accept invocations that don’t include the file extension, and the files make me think that the creators assumed that Windows would pick the match for bootstrap that it knew how to handle. What happens if you try adding .cmd to the end?

Hi.

A quick note - I think I will have to look deeper in how to get the shell script to run.

From my understanding cmder can work if I have it configured correctly. That is my next step when I can get away to try it out (after following your suggestion).

Cheers.

@DamnedScholar - Thank you for your efforts. I will not take anymore of your time on this. What follows is my [negative] feedback not aimed at you.

Hello.

To see if I could get the Shell Script to run, I installed Git for windows:
https://git-for-windows.github.io/

That was not helpful. Reason: The Ruby version needed is V2.2.3. The execution of bootstrap complained about the version not being correct. I modified the Gemfile to accept higher Ruby versions just to have another dependency come forward to complain about needing Ruby < V2.3.

Doing some more digging I found that V2.2.7 is marked as “In security maintenance phase (will EOL soon!)

The RubyInstaller for Windows does list V2.2.6 on [LINK]. This file however wants to save as filename b53bb768aea3946178149a804201e68ddc034ba5140f2488c2520da24f76e3cc… which is not an executable… as soon as you try to download it.

Now this is where I have to draw the line. This is spending far too much time and resources on trying to get an offline manual for programming for Atom.

My conclusion: The flight manual is an introductory manual meant to read from the web. It does not welcome offline use for a Windows user who starting out fresh in the code design for Atom.

Why not just run bootstrap.cmd?

My conclusion: The flight manual is an introductory manual meant to read from the web. It does not welcome offline use for a Windows user who starting out fresh in the code design for Atom.

It’s definitely meant to be read on the web, but I don’t see why having a folder of markdown files is so forbidding for a new user.

:slightly_smiling_face:
True - it works to open the (unlinked?) individual MD files.
But for me it is like having a binder with unbound papers in it.
My preference - My mind absorb info better if there is order in my notes.

Having said that… using the manual should not be such an extensive exercise. Co-operation between people (bettering the manual) should be easy - right?

Yep. The Flight Manual is delivered in the form desired by the people who authored it. If someone comes up wanting to put in the effort to make it accessible in a different format, it’s an open-source project.

Hi.

I have created an issue:
https://github.com/atom/flight-manual.atom.io/issues/362

Some pull requests are pending to be absorbed too that is focussed on bettering the installation instructions…
https://github.com/atom/flight-manual.atom.io/pull/340
https://github.com/atom/flight-manual.atom.io/pull/245

Also pull request for updating dependencies…
https://github.com/atom/flight-manual.atom.io/pull/355

So - let us see if there are any movement on this point.
Regards.